Wednesday, June 5, 2019

You're not the one who decides if you are a role model.


When Tiger Woods flamed out, my brother-in-law and I had a discussion about it.  At some point when we were talking he said: "But Tiger didn't ask to be a role model."  My reply - "The first time someone says to you 'I want to be just like you,' shame on you if it doesn't make you want to clean up your act."

That was a student who said that to me because they tend to be a bit more candid than subordinates. 

But I also recall a group lunch where one of my staff discussed the fact that I had taken only two cookies from the buffet table at the client meeting the day before.  She thought that was an appropriate amount and one of the reasons why I am thin.  But still.  I don't recall ever noticing what someone else took from a buffet table during a meeting.

And that's the point.  The people you encounter are watching you more than you think they are.  They are looking for leadership.  They are looking for behavioral cues.  They are looking to connect with you.  All the more so if they are younger.  The choice is not yours. 

The only choice you have is what kind of an example you want to set.

1 comment:

Tim Baynes Art said...

Excellent post as ever and the key point
"And that's the point. The people you encounter are watching you more than you think they are. They are looking for leadership. They are looking for behavioral cues. They are looking to connect with you. All the more so if they are younger. The choice is not yours." is vital.
May I extend the point: by saying to people, to whom I have the privilege of teaching here in the UK,: Clients are looking for leadership and it is incumbent on us all to give leadership - for example no interaction/meeting with a client customer or colleague should end without the suggestion and agreement of a next step.

Thank you for the post!