Last week was a big week. After 3 out of the 5 honorees for the Kennedy Center Honors announced that they would not be attending , and the other 2 indicated they were likely to follow their lead, President Trump announced that he would not attend. Wow.
So it seems to be a good time to look again at the power of @grabyourwallet and @slpng_ giants.
1. As of the beginning of June, Sharon Coulter founder of grabyourwallet, reports that 22 companies on the list have dropped Trump products, and the grabyourwallet website has 2 million unique visitors each month. (Kramer, 2017)
2. Breitbart, the favorite target of sleeping giants, has lost 90% of its advertisers in two months, and visitors have declined by 53% since November. Click-through rates on the site are a dismal 15%. (vs. 32% for the New York Times) (Bhattarai, 2017)
3. The exodus from the Manufacturing Council started with Merck CEO Kenneth Frazier and quickly escalated, so by the next morning 6 CEOs had resigned. Then Sleeping Giants took up the cause, and tweeted the names and contact information for the remaining CEOs. By the next morning the group announced they were disbanding. And the Strategy & Policy Forum followed suit. The Infastructure Council was abandoned before it was even started. (Paletta & McGregor, 2017)
The Council for the Arts, which was comprised of Obama appointees, quit the next day too. (Hipes, 2017)
4. Then Sleeping Giants began tweeting the names of charities who intended to hold their fundraisers at Mar-a-Lago, and singling out their directors, with names and photos. It's a moving target at the moment, but as of yesterday, 16 charities had canceled. Since Mar-a-Lago makes $100K - $275K per event that has to hurt. (Dangremond, 2017)
5. On Monday a New Jersey chapter of the United Way canceled its scheduled event at Trump's New Jersey golf club. One imagines they will not be the last to do so. (Shelbourne, 2017)
6. Meanwhile, Trumps' attacks on CNN have really done wonders for the network. Their ratings in second quarter 2017 were their best since 2003. (Kruzel, 2017)
7. And the "failing New York Times," clearly isn't, as they gained 93,000 subscribers in 2Q, and revenues were up 9% versus year ago. (Ember, 2017)
Money talks. And boycotts work. Expect to see more.
Kramer, M. (2017, June 4) Grab your wallet, boycott Trump and participate in “A sprawling landscape of resistance” salon.com Retrieved August 19, 2017, from http://www.salon.com/2017/06/04/boycott-trump_partner/
Bhattarai, A. (2017, June 8) Breitbart lost 90 percent of its advertisers in two months: Who's still there? chicagotribune.com retrieved August 19, 2017, from
Paletta, D. & McGregor, J. (2017, August 16) Trump’s business advisory councils disband as CEOs abandon president over Charlottesville views. washingtonpost.com Retrieved August 19, 2017, from
Hipes, P. (2017, August 18) Another Presidential Council, This One Focused On The Arts, Quits On Donald Trump. deadline.com. Retrieved August 19, 2017, from http://deadline.com/2017/08/donald-trump-presidential-committee-on-the-arts-and-humanities-quits-1202151717/
Dangremond, S. (2017, August 18) Eight Charities Have Canceled Their Mar-a-Lago Galas This Week. townandcountry.com. Retrieved August 19, 2017, from http://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/politics/a12033310/mar-a-lago-charity-fundraisers-canceled/
Shelbourne, M. (2017, August 22) New Jersey charity pulls out of event at Trump golf club. thehill.com. Retrieved August 22, 2017, from http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/347419-new-jersey-organization-pulls-out-of-event-at-trump-golf-club
Kruzel, J. (2017, July 3) Trump’s Pants on Fire claim that CNN ratings are ‘way down’. politifact.com retrieved August 19, 2017, from http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/jul/03/donald-trump/trumps-pants-fire-claim-cnn-ratings-are-way-down/
Ember, S. (2017, July 27) New York Times Reports Strong Quarter on Digital Revenue Growth. nytimes.com. Retrieved August 19, from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/business/new-york-times-company-2q-earnings.html?_r=0