Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Fake it 'till you make it


Jason Gay of the Wall Street Journal wrote a wonderful graduation piece where he shared the secret that - "Nobody really knows what they're doing."


It made me smile.  It also made me think of the lyrics from The King and I song - "Whenever I feel afraid, I hold my head erect and whistle a happy tune so no one will suspect I'm afraid."

Hammerstein really got it.

Research shows that when it comes to success confidence appears to be what matters most.  Specifically Dale & Krueger's study on the value of elite education found that it doesn't matter if you went to an elite college.  What matters is that you had the confidence to apply to one. (Farrell, 2002)

It's all a mind game.  And it's up to you to choose your mindset.  Why not choose to be confident,  and keep whistling until you are?



Farrell, C. (2002, November) On the Payoff  to Attending an Elite College.  nber.com.  Retrieved June 18, 2019 , from  https://www.nber.org/digest/dec99/w7322.html

No comments: