Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Just tell me what to do.


HBR did a story a while back discussing their observation that Millennials are less likely than previous generations to ask why they are being asked to do something, and simply want to be told what to do.
It's an interesting observation.  I imagine part of the reason for their behavior is the way that they have been raised.  A very articulate Millennial once said to me: "Imagine what it's like to have every moment of your life scheduled from the day you are born."  Sounds awful.  But you can start to see the problem.  They have been told exactly what to do from birth and have been encouraged not to ask questions.  Why change now?

The truth is that they are terrified of failure.  My Millennial spokesperson also pointed out that "they have been under pressure to succeed their entire lives - even having to compete to get into kindergarten."  Oh wow.  Now I am really feeling sorry for them. 

Their helicopter parents have made the situation worse by not allowing them to fail.  Not only does this short change their learning since you learn more from your failures than your successes, but it also overemphasizes their fear of failure.  And it doesn't allow them to learn how to bounce back from failure, and develop resilience, which is much more important in the scheme of things.

I'm not so sure that I believe that Millennials are less likely than previous generations to ask questions.  But if they are, I can certainly see why.  Can't you?

No comments: