Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Only insecure people harass others.


In my experience men who harass women do so because they are threatened by them.  In both cases, older men, who weren't used to women in the workplace, felt a need to put me down because they couldn't deal with the fact that a young woman was telling them what to do.  Their comments were sexual in order to belittle me and show me that all I was good for was having babies.  It was really quite extraordinary.

I confronted one on the spot and eventually had both fired because I am the most dreaded of people - an assertive woman.  Unfortunately not everyone is.

But we need to differentiate between behavior that is meant to demean and honest propositions.  I had no problem with the latter as long as the men who made them were willing to take no graciously - which they all did. 

Every woman can tell the difference between predatory behavior and a compliment, and so can every man.  So don't try to tell people it was a joke or accidental.  We see you and you will be held accountable.

No comments: