Thursday, October 29, 2009

Are Mobile Coupons the next big thing?

10/29/09

We have been hearing for a while that mobile advertising is about to take off, and perhaps here lies the key; after all coupons are very popular these days. In a recent HipCricket study, 47% of recipients of mobile coupons remember the brand and 94% remember the offer.

So, Sprint has joined with Screenvision to offer subscriber discounts on drinks and snacks at more than 500 movie theaters nationwide. In addition, the technology also supports a loyalty program, and allows users to download content, music, trailers and games. (Sullivan, 2009)

And in return, users only have to give up their privacy, since databases will keep track of purchases, and presumably share the information with anyone willing to pay for it. Is it a fair trade off? What do you think? Have you redeemed a mobile coupon yet?


Sullivan, L. (2009, October 28). Sprint Delivers Mobile Coupons for Movie Theaters. mediapost.com. Retrived October 28, 2009, from
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=116303

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never received a mobile coupon, and I don’t doubt that they would be an effective means of advertising. Although, I think that “the next big thing” is overhyping this form of advertising. Mobile advertising is certainly going to be an enormous segment of future advertising, and mobile coupons will have a role to play in that larger trend. I believe they will fulfill a similar role to the one they now play. In the future there could be some advantages over traditional coupons, for instance coupons could be delivered to people who are in the vicinity of your business using GPS software like Google Maps or Garmin that would be installed on your Smartphone.

Maria Peraza said...

I myself haven't yet received a mobile coupon. However I can see how they could be quite effective. Cell phones are (pretty much) always in the hands of a consumer. Therefore, what better way to reach them than via their cell phones? Since cell phones are normally a very personal means of communication, it makes sense that people remember the brands that are contacting them via their mobile devices. However, I don't think that the hype will last. I think that the more "popular" this medium becomes, the more consumers will begin to see this marketing tactic as intrusive. If I were to receive one coupon a month for a brand that I were interested in, I would definitely remember and I wouldn't mind it. If it were to become a daily unfiltered occurance, I would definitely view it as intrusive. I would no longer pay attention to individual coupons and their brands. If I were to remember a brand name, it would likely be in a negative light due to my annoyance. I think that as long as this remains a minor component of the marketing mix of a very select number of brands, it will be successful. Once more brands latch on to this method, it will be the means of its own destruction.

Theresa said...

I have not received a mobil coupon. I think they would be effective within certain target markets -- people who live by cell phone. Personally, I do not want "junk" mail on my cell phone. I get enough of it in my email and don't want to receive text coupons for things that I don't use. I am not a movie goer generally but if there were a way to sign up for coupons for things that interest me than it would be more effective. How do you separate "junk" coupons from useful coupons when one person's junk is another's treasure.