Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Are you worrying about the worst case scenario?

Whenever we deal with a situation, there are a variety of possible outcomes.  Part of the decision-making process should be reviewing those options, identifying the most probable one, and proceeding from there.

 

So why do I leap to the worst possible outcome and begin worrying?

 

It's human nature.  We are hard wired to fear losing.  In fact, we fear losing more than we like winning.  That's why we are risk adverse.

 

But the truth is that the "most likely" outcome is seldom the "worst case" outcome.

 

If I could only remember that, I would worry less.

 

Instead, I think of this joke:

 

A man on death row was on his way to be executed.  As he walked down the corridor with his guard, the guard asked: "Are you worried?"  The prisoner responded: "Why?  Would it help?"

 

Then I laugh and try to stop worrying. 

 

Sometimes it works.

 

No comments: