Saturday, June 10, 2017

No, I won't recommend you.



Buying things used to be so much simpler.  You went to a store, checked out a small selection of options, bought one, paid for it in cash and you were done.  Now it seems that with every purchase I make, or service I use, online or off,  I am expected to take a quiz too.

I get it.  Research says that reviews matter.  A recent article pointed out that obscure hotels were benefiting from the exposure that positive reviews can bring.  (McGinty, 2016)  But what's in it for me?

A chance at a prize?  Really?  Do you get paid in lottery tickets?  I sure don't.  Not to mention the fact that most of the products and services I buy are average.  Why would I take the time to fill out a review for an average product?

On occasion, when service warrants it I do want to provide feedback.  But I am only asked a single question - will you recommend us?  No.  Because I am not paid to do your marketing for you.  It's really as simple as that.

McGinty, J. (2016, November 18)  For Hotels, Online Reviews Really Matter to the Bottom Line.  wsj.com.  Retrieved June 10, 2017, from https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-hotels-online-reviews-really-matter-to-the-bottom-line-1479477602

No comments: