Friday, April 1, 2016

How passionate are you about shopping in stores? It depends, are you a Millennial?



According to a new study from iModerate, 82% of Millennials say brick-and-mortar locations are important to them.  80% of Gen Z agree.  But only 69% of Gen Xers and 65% of Boomers do.

Not surprisingly, each group is seeking different things from their shopping experiences.  Gen Z is all about customization and experimentation, Millennials are all about efficiency, while Gen Xers want to escape.  And Baby Boomers?  We want comfort and space.  (Mahoney, 2016)

As a Boomer, that sounds about right to me.  What about you?  Do you think this research captures the way that you feel about in-store shopping?


Mahoney, S. (2016, March 30)  For Gens Y And Z, In-Store Experience Is Critical.  mediapost.com.  Retrieved April 1, 2016, from

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As a Millennial I have to say that I am a bit surprised with such a big number that goes in favor of in-store shopping. I do not like going to stores, but maybe that is because I have not found one that suits all three critical components (convenience, layout and personnel).

Often I find stores to crowded, with badly clothes layout and personnel that is not willing to dedicate time to customers. So I end up going to stores when I have a clear plan about what I intend to buy.

But, there are certain stores that proved me wrong. For example Lush store and Urban Outfitters. I find them close to me because of the way they approach customers and store layout.

Reema said...

I think one should factor in not only ages but people of different cultures and backgrounds. In some parts of the world it is much more part of the culture to shop in person. One of the big reasons is that many people like seeing the items in person, and feeling the item beforehand. They also like negotiating in person over the price. Another reason is that cash is still the king in most transactions in many parts of the world.

I personally prefer shopping indoors. I get to see, feel the product, and compare it with others beforehand. It's also much simpler and easier to return products in store. I use online for impulse buying, or for products that I know aren't available in the store or are much cheaper.

Unknown said...

I'm surprise with this number, I have a lot of friends who buy everything on line and who buy in-store only fresh food. Personally, I'm used to buy on line books and Hi-Tech because it's easy compare price and find offer. As concerned clothes, I've never bought on line because I prefer try them before buy.
I think it's also a matter of convenience: in the large cities there is a greater variety of shops and is easy to find what you want, and buying in store you do not have the shipping problems.

Unknown said...

As a Milinial, I personally love shopping in stores. I like to be able to touch and feel things before I buy them. This is especially important for clothing (I need to try things on) and picking out produce at grocery stores.

However, I believe that I may be in the monitory of my age group. Most of my friends and peers prefer to buy things online. I have many friends who are loyal users of Amazon and Fresh Direct.