Friday, November 22, 2013

I think Spice Islands may be on to something.


The spice manufacturer is returning to television for the holiday season with a message about their high quality standards, which includes distributing their products in glass bottles.  (Lukovitz, 2013)

If ever there was a campaign targeted to an educated audience this is it.  I cringed last month when I read about the FDA report which said that 12% of US spice imports are contaminated with bug parts, rodent hairs, and most disconcertedly salmonella.  (Christensen, 2013)

And, I switched to glass and threw out all my plastic in 2008, when the studies about the harmful effects of BPA’s in plastic were released. (Parker-Pope, 2008)

While I reminded myself when I read the report about the spices that I usually consume only fresh herbs and spices from local organic farmer markets and my own roof garden, I did take a moment to consider what I would do if I couldn’t find a particular spice through those sources, and had no easy answer.  Well now I do.  And just in time for my holiday turkey.  Sounds like a winning strategy to me.   



Lukovitz, K. (2013, November 19) Spice Islands Returns To TV Advertising.  mediapost.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013, from http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/213772/spice-islands-returns-to-tv-advertising.html?edition=67075


Christensen, J. (2013, October 31) What’s in your spices?  Bug parts and rat hair.  cnn.com.  Retrieved November 22, 2013, from http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/health/bugs-in-spices/


Parker-Pope, T. (2008, April 22) A Hard Plastic Is Raising Hard Questions.  nytimes.com. Retrieved November 22, 2013, from http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/health/22well.html?_r=0

No comments: