Thursday, August 12, 2010

Let ad agency reintegration begin!

8/12/10

According to the rumor mill, McCann-Erickson is hinting that reintegration may be in its future. I say it’s about time. (Bush, 2010)

I spent most of the 80s and 90s as an account person at fully integrated agencies including a ten year stint at McCann. The holistic nature of my role allowed me to be a true partner for my clients and to explore innovative advertising programs. Then, just when media alternatives exploded, opening the door to exciting new solutions, ad agencies unbundled their media and creative services in search of greater revenues. But at what cost? How can a service business give its clients exceptional ideas when input is limited to only one part of what should be a highly coordinated effort?

Frankly, I found the year I spent as a “creative only” partner to be an exercise in frustration, with my efforts hamstrung by an unimaginative media agency. I was dismayed to see my clients getting less than they deserved, and ultimately bored by my inability to help them progress. I left the business shortly thereafter.
Reintegration will not only better serve clients, but may also help agencies to attract the level of talent they once took for granted. Amen to that.

Bush, M. (2010, August 9). McCann Talk Hints at Bringing Media, Creative Closer. adage.com. Retrieved August 11, 2010, from http://adage.com/agencynews/article?article_id=145300

No comments: