Thursday, August 5, 2010

Advertising or stalking? It depends who you ask.

8/5/10

I recently commented to someone that I thought a variety of marketers had missed a golden opportunity to reach out to me while I was redoing my kitchen. I spent months online researching everything from tiles to appliances, yet no one sent me information about these items independently, despite the fact that I would have welcomed it. And even today I’m still looking for a bronze breadbasket – so if anyone is selling one – you know where to find me.

Now comes the opposite point-of-view, from a Zappos customer who felt the company’s persistent efforts to sell him shorts, after he put his search on-hold, were downright creepy. (Learmonth, 2010). He mentions receiving ads for five days after his initial search on a wide variety of sites. And is now thinking of joining a ‘do not track” list should one become available.

It’s definitely a fine line that advertisers will need to learn how to navigate if they are to respond to consumer requests for more relevant advertising online. In the meantime, I imagine there will be disappointment from both sides.

Learmonth, M. (2010, August 2). The Pants That Stalked Me on the Web. adage.com. Retrieved August 5, 2010, from http://adage.com/digitalnext/article?article_id=145204

No comments: