Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Congratulations class of 2020... Here's the xerox machine.


I recently came across an old clipping in which Vera Wang disclosed the fact that she spent her first year at Conde Nast xeroxing.  (Oloizia, 2014)

It made me laugh.  Been there, done that. 

Within weeks of beginning my first job at Grey Advertising,  I had mastered the art of clearing copier paper jams  - a complex dance that involved opening and shutting various drawers and doors, and removing ripped paper, staples and paper clips.

I once remarked that I should have gotten my M.B.A. in xeroxing.

Recently when a student shared a story in class about why she quit her internship after a week - you guessed it - she was given nothing to do but xeroxing - the rest of the class nodded along in approval of her actions.  They were all shocked when I said: "Let me tell you what you did wrong." 

"What you should have done was looked at what you were given to copy and asked questions about it.  Had you done that, the person you were working with would have seen that you were actually interested in what you were doing and worth training.  Then they would have given you something better to do."

That's right folks.  Xeroxing is a test.  As is taking notes in meetings.  They are both an opportunity to learn.  But it's up to you to take it.  Bosses don't have time to babysit.  It's your life and your career.  Step up, take responsibility for yourself and enjoy. 

Good luck!  It's going to be a bumpy ride.


Oloizia, J. (2014, August 21)  The Facts and Figures Behind Vogue Magazine. nytimes.com.  Retrieved May 25, 2020, from  https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/21/t-magazine/vogue-magazine-facts-and-figures-chart.html

1 comment:

S. McGlynn said...

True enough. The people that make my job easier as a boss, do the extra work, take things off my plate, and approach everything they do with enthusiasm are inevitably at the top of my list for anything (promotion, raise, better work schedule, etc.). I got where I am by following this same philosophy.