Wednesday, May 9, 2018

If you want to communicate better, start with the big picture.


I was checking out of a store recently and two bored young ladies behind the counter were discussing how much they didn’t want to be there, while one barely interacted with me.

I found myself wondering why someone hadn’t explained to them that check out is a customer service function, and that the impression they make on customers will determine whether or not those customers return.  So it is vitally important to the future of the company and by extension their jobs that they interact with customers in a positive way.

I doubt it.

I had similar thoughts when we moved all of our belongings out of our home for asbestos abatement.  The movers, who were very charming, left seemingly random items around the apartment while declaring themselves to be finished.  I believe that they were trying to be thoughtful. 

But in asbestos remediation, everything must be removed from the apartment or it will become contaminated and will need to be thrown out. 

Clearly no one told them this.

It only takes a short time to share the bigger picture with people you are collaborating with and the payout is huge.  It’s what we call an optimal solution – easy to do, with a big impact on results.   

Give it a try and see.

No comments: