Friday, July 14, 2017

Hey AOL - making your service worse is not a good strategy.



I'm not quite sure when my AOL desktop started acting up.  It wouldn't load my email newsletters properly and constantly crashed; while they kept sending me sketchy looking messages asking me if I wanted their help to fix the problem.  Hmm.

Then last month they sent me an email telling me that I would now have to pay for the service.  Why would I want to do that when it's so terrible? 

They were a bit cagey about telling me that they are charging $3.99 a month, because they want to rope me in to a 30 day free trial and then hope that I will forget to opt out.  That could be a good strategy.  (Cracklingice, 2017)

But the online reviews of the new AOL Gold are pretty awful, just like my most recent experiences.  Wouldn't it have been smarter for them to improve the user experience before they tried to get people to pay for it? 

Just asking.


Cracklingice (2017, March 12)  AOL Desktop Software to end free access plan.  linustechtips.com.  Retrieved July 14, 2017, from

No comments: