Friday, June 3, 2016

I love #StarringJohnCho



Full disclosure, I am a John Cho fan -- love both Harold and Sulu.  But mostly I love this campaign. 

In case you haven't heard about it yet, here's the scoop.  After the All White Oscars many minority feathers were ruffled.  That was followed by the announcement that Scarlett Johansson would play the lead character in the manga film Ghost in the Shell -- wearing a black wig of course.  Ewww.

Anger turned to action when William Yu, a digital strategist with mad photoshop skills wondered what it would be like if John Cho replaced the white male leads in a variety of blockbusters.  Then, he backed the idea up with poster do overs.  Here are a few, but you really should check them all out at #StarringJohnCho because they're brilliant.  And, they make you think.


I grew up with All in the Family and Maude and firmly believe that they helped change the way that people felt. 

So I was thrilled when I saw Beyonce's Formation video. 

Like #StarringJohnCho, I think both have the opportunity to open hearts and minds. 

I hope that I am right.  I think that Rinko Kikuchi would have made a terrific Major Motoko Kusanagi -- she was mesmerizing in Pacific Rim, if only she had been given the chance.  Maybe next time she will.


Rogers, K. (2016, May 10)  John Cho, Starring in Every Movie Ever Made?  A Diversity Hashtag Is Born.  nytimes.com.  Retrieved June 3, 2016, from

Hess, A. (2016, May 29)  We Will Not Be Ignored.  The New York Times.  Arts & Leisure p1 and 10.

No comments: