Friday, May 20, 2016

Google is Skynet -- or maybe Amazon is.



I caught up with Terminator Genisys this weekend, just in time for Google's announcement of Google Home this week.

Google Home is your new virtual assistant, just like Echo (Amazon) or Siri (Apple).  It will control a variety of devices in your home and bring you music and entertainment.  And it will do a Google search for you.  (Forbes, 2016)

I wonder how that's going to work.  Sometimes I search for hours to find the information I am looking for.  Meanwhile Google is gathering data about me.  Data that it recently sold to someone who served me an ad for a medical problem that I don't have.  It freaked me out.  It's so much more personal than just trying to sell me shoes.

And maybe it's just me, but I don't particularly want a surveillance device in my home listening to everything I say.  And what happens when it goes down and I can't turn on a light or lock a door?  I shudder to think of the possibilities.  (Oremus, 2016)


Forbes, T. (2016, May 19)  Google's Coming Home, Among Other Developments.  mediapost.com.  Retrieved May 19, 2016, from http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/276207/googles-coming-home-among-other-developments.html


Oremus, W. (2016, May 18) The Google Home Is Like the Amazon Echo, Only Smarter.  And Maybe Creepier.  slate.com.  Retrieved May 19, 2016, from http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/05/18/google_home_is_a_smart_speaker_that_s_smarter_than_the_amazon_echo_creepier.html

No comments: