Friday, January 22, 2016

So B&H, if I do your job does that mean you'll do mine?



I miss the days when I could go into a store, see something that I liked, buy it with cash and be done with it. 

Now it seems like whenever I buy something -- online or off, I am expected to take a quiz.  Why?  Don't you know if your employees are doing a good job or not?  That's what managers are for.  Or you could listen to the tapes. 

This morning Casablanca asked me to stay on the line for a short survey about my fan.  I agreed because I wanted to vent my dissatisfaction.  But I never got a chance.  Because once I said I wasn't happy with Casablanca and wouldn't recommend them, they hung up on me.  I guess that's one way to make sure you don't have to report customer complaints.

Speaking of customer complaints, how long does it take to answer one?  Radio Shack acknowledged receiving my emailed complaint on 9/12/16, but have yet to address it.  Seriously? 

Which brings me back to B&H, who seems to have found a novel solution to their customer service questions -- outsource them to customers.  Yes, the other day they sent me an email telling me that someone had a question about a product that I bought -- would I like to answer it.   

Sure.  Just as soon as you put me on payroll.

All these companies seem to have forgotten that it costs 6-7 times more to get a new customer than to retain an old one.  (Rampton, 2015)   

How silly of them.  Here's an article from Huffpost to remind them why they should step up their game. 


Rampton, J. (2015, December 15)  Top 5 Reasons Customers Churn.  huffingtonpost.com.  Retrieved 1/21/16, from

No comments: