Friday, August 7, 2015

Brooke Shields in an over-the-top soap? Could work.



The last ad campaign that featured a soap opera type format was the Taster's Choice campaign from the 90's.  They ran 13 spots over 7 years and left us hanging.  Here's the Gold Blend version of the spots in case you missed them.


Given the campaign's success, it's surprising that no one has tried the format again.  But La-Z-Boy is clearly on a roll with Brooke, so why not give it a try?  Of course in keeping with the times it's far less subtle than the TC couple but definitely a hoot.  It actually reminds me more of a telenovela than a soap.  And I don't think that's a coincidence.


But neither one compares to "Love of Chair" the brilliant Electric Company segment that kept me amused while I was babysitting my cousin.  It still makes me LOL.


So what do you think?  Hit or miss?


Jicha, T. (1998, April 25)  Coffee Commercial Romance grinds To A Halt.  chicagotribune.com.   Retrieved August 6, 2015 , from http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-04-25/news/9804250021_1_scene-taster-s-choice-spot


Corr, A. (2015, August 3)  Brooke Shields, Constantine, Ham it Up in La-Z-Boy's 'As The Room Turns'.  mediapost.com.  Retrieved August 6, 2015 , from

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loooooove the Gold Blend ads! It's like a romantic movie, I was so eager to know what would happen next.
But I was just curious, did they shoot all the ads one time and ran them in 7 years or did they actually shoot in 7 years? And for those who missed the start part of the story, would they still be touched by the romance in the ad?
And the "Love of Chair" one is brilliant too, it doesn't have to cost big money to make a good ad.