Friday, June 5, 2015

It's about time Pinterest - what were you waiting for?



Last year when I did a survey of the current state of social media, I noted that Pinterest seemed to be the social network best positioned to become commercially viable, as its format wasn't all that different from a typical catalog.  At the time it was already skewing toward older wealthier females, so that was promising as well.

But, as a user (and a member of that demographic group) the fact that I couldn't buy the items that I was seeing was a huge negative.  What was the point in wasting my time looking, if at the end of the day all I had to show for it was a picture of what I wanted, but no way to get it?  So, I did my searching on Google instead. 

But then I discovered that many of those items were also not available, which really makes me nuts.  So I am very excited about the idea that Pinterest will soon be adding a buy button.  Of course it won't be for everything.  Initial partners will include Macy's, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. 

But maybe at some point they will connect to the maker of that dining room table I am swooning over.  One can hope can't they?


Koh, Y. (2015, June 3)  Pinterest to Soon Add a 'Buy' Button Wall Street Journal  pB1

No comments: