Tuesday, May 31, 2022

That's not why you bought the Rolex.

 

According to Rolex, their new Oyster Perpetual 41 watch offers fundamental gains in precision and resistance to shocks and magnetic fields.  It has a 70 hour power reserve and is waterproof as deep as 100 metres.

 

Well that certainly explains why it sells for $5,990.00 and up.

 

But if it's all about product performance, then how do we account for the counterfeit versions that line the streets of Chinatown along with designer bags, sunglasses and now - sneakers?

 

The answer is that all decisions are emotional.

 


I never intended to write books.  But when I began teaching advertising 17 years ago I discovered that the available textbooks were written by academics rather than practitioners.  And not surprisingly they missed most of the important stuff.

 

So I created slides based on my work experiences and shared those with my students.  But that wasn't much help for the ones who missed class.  Eventually I took pity on them and  pulled all the slides together and put them in a book. 

 

Since then, I have written several others as my area of interest morphed from marketing to consumer behavior. 

 

This book is a twofer.  It provides a curated selection of consumer behavior research that is directly applicable to marketing.  Endnotes provide links to the original research for those looking for more detail. 

 

It also explains and demonstrates how to use classic strategic formats - Target Recommendations, Positioning Statements, Creative Briefs and Obs & Strats.

 

Before now, I declined to release my books in digital formats because people learn better from books than screens.  But links aren't very helpful in a print book.

 

So, I am pleased to announce that you can find a link to the ebook here...

 

https://www.amazon.com/Thats-not-why-bought-Rolex-ebook/dp/B0B2KWPQC4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3E3TE362K46K&keywords=pj+lehrer+ebook&qid=1653936305&sprefix=%2Caps%2C38&sr=8-1

 

And for those of you who still prefer real books, you can find the paperback here...

 

https://www.amazon.com/Thats-not-why-bought-Rolex/dp/0989742253/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3ECSM84E2U8X8&keywords=pj+lehrer&qid=1653936390&sprefix=pj+lehrer+%2Caps%2C38&sr=8-1

 

Finally a big shout out to all those professionals who shared their knowledge with me over the past 40 years.  I am proud to pass it along.

 

No comments: