Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Does it make you want to buy something?

I was watching tv the other night when a commercial from Diet Coke aired. 

 

You can see it here...


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zp00kR-zk

 

When I saw it, I smiled.  But I am a Baby Boomer.  So what I think doesn't really matter since I am not the target for this ad.

 

The target for this ad is most likely Gen Z (currently ages 9-24).  So the only thing that matters is what they think of the commercial and whether it motivates them to buy Diet Coke.

 

As we have discussed in class, the different generations have a different sense of humor, so what a Baby Boomer finds funny a Gen Z might not.

 

So what do you think?  Would a Gen Z find this ad to be funny?  Would it motivate them to buy/drink diet coke?  Does it motivate you?

 

3 comments:

Carly P said...

I think the ad is cheeky and definitely has a cuteness factor to it. However, I do not think it is strong enough to effect the Gen Z generation. I imagine if a ten year old saw it, they would not be intrigued, but rather it would go over their head. Personally, I don’t find it motivating as Diet Coke to me is associated with unhealthiness. The ad seems to perpetuate that narrative rather than juxtapose it.

Sophia Guo said...

The irony is this ad reminded me of several older people I know who are huge fans of diet coke. This ad is entertaining for all, but there might be different results for different age groups. I like the concept of the ad; the visuals draw attention too. I think diet coke has already been likable among Gen Z because Gen Z cares about their health, even though they are too young for it. 72% of Gen Z said they see healthy eating as an integral part of their physical and mental health, with 71% making an effort to eat healthy food at home (Southey, 2021). In the beginning, Diet Coke's target market was women who tried to lose weight. Compared to regular Coke, Diet Coke is much healthier; having Gen Z as their target will be effective. However, I don't think reaching out to Gen Z through TV works, 33% of Gen Z were persuaded to buy something after seeing it on social media, but only 5% of TV viewers were aged 13-24. (Generation Z Statistic). As a result, social media advertising may be more effective than TV advertising if their target market is Gen Z.

Resources:
1. https://www.marketingcharts.com/television/tv-audiences-and-consumption-106649
2. https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2021/07/27/What-does-overlooked-Gen-Z-want-from-healthy-food
3. https://99firms.com/blog/generation-z-statistics/

Kayla Xiong said...

As a Gen Z, I find it funny and cute but it’s not enough to make me drink Diet Coke if I’m not already a consumer of Diet coke. I don’t feel convinced or desired through this commercial at all. Maybe I am not the target. However, I do drink Diet Coke instead of coke. The reason why we have the stereotype of only old people drink them is because we know lots of elders behave and try to diet (avoid diabetes), young generation has more power to not to drink it as we are have better metabolism. One thing to mention, I don’t think TV ads are an effective way to reach Gen Z, maybe YouTube or Snapchat ads would be much better.