Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Why are researchers asking the wrong question?

 

Words matter.  Just changing one word in a research question can vastly impact the results. 

A definitive study from Loftus & Palmer in 1974 demonstrated that changing the descriptor of an accident from "bumped" to "smashed" changes the testimony from eyewitnesses.  (McLeod, 2014)

 

You can check out a recreation of the experiment from Brain Games here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ-96BLaKYQ

 

I recently had the opportunity to interact with a customer service person at an organization I do business with.  The interaction which was above and beyond the typical contact went well, so I was prepared to provide feedback to the company.

 

When I opened the email the company sent, I expected to see the question: "How satisfied were you with the customer service that you received?"  I would have responded with a 10 out of 10. 

 

But the email they sent me asked - "Based on your recent call with Company X customer service, how likely are you to recommend Company X to a friend or colleague?"  My answer to that question is 0 out of 10.  

 

Why?  Because you don't pay me to market your services and I don't work for free.

 

I am not sure why companies don't get that. 

Because I didn't want my answer to reflect poorly upon the person that I spoke with, I chose not to answer at all.

This is not an isolated incidence.  I am not sure when companies decided that if they only have one question to ask this would be the one.  

But I am sure it's not providing them with any meaningful feedback.

 

McLeod, S. (2014)  Loftus & Palmer. simplypsychology.org.  Retrieved July 6, 2021, from

https://www.simplypsychology.org/loftus-palmer.html

No comments: