Wednesday, June 6, 2018

I’m stressing out – please pass the Reece’s Cups.


Normally I don’t have much of a sweet tooth.  But our apartment was flooded and we had to move out while they redo our floors. 

We had to put all our stuff in storage, while separating out what we would need for the next two months.  And did I mention that we have lived in the apartment for 28 years?  You accumulate an awful lot of stuff in 28 years.

As a result, I have been making lots of difficult decisions for months.  What to keep, what to toss, what to move to the rental apartment. 

And making decisions is exhausting.  The more you have to make, the worse it is.  The more choices you have, the worse it is.  Do you have any idea how many 8 x 11 rugs are available on the Internet these days?  The choices are infinite.

At this point, I am definitely suffering from decision-making fatigue and it shows.  I have made bad decisions by focusing on limited criteria, impulsive decisions that I have regretted immediately and done nothing when I should have acted.  (Tierney, 2011)

But mostly, I have been eating donuts, cookies and candy.

So I wasn’t surprised to read that research has shown that when we are stressed it alters the decision circuits in our brains.  There is more activity in the part of the brain that is linked to seeking immediate rewards and less in the part that affects long range planning. (Reynolds, 2015)

But knowing that doesn’t seem to help much. 

Todd Hare, one of the authors of the study, which was published in Neuron, suggests finding an action path that will improve your choices, like taking a walk.  (Maier, Makwana, Hare, 2015)

I think I’ll give it a try.  But I’ll have to be careful not to walk past a candy store. ;-)


Tierney, J. (2011, August 17)  Do You Suffer From Decision Fatigue?  nytimes.com.  Retrieved June 5, 2018, from  https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/do-you-suffer-from-decision-fatigue.html?_r=0

Reynolds, G. (2015, August 20)  Candy Brain nytimes.com  Retrieved June 5, 2018, from

Maier, S., Makwana, A., Hare, T. (2015, August 5)  Acute Stress Impairs Self-Control in Goal-Directed Choice by Altering Multiple Functional Connections within the Brain’s Decision Circuits.  Neuron  Retrieved June 5 2018, from  https://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltext/S0896-6273(15)00627-3

No comments: